Name Change Attorney Gaylord MI

There are many reasons that you may want or need to change your name. From getting married to adoption, the two most common reasons for name changes, all changes will go through the family law court.

If you or a family member decide to change your name, you will first need to complete the Petition to Change Name, form PC51. This form will need to be submitted to your circuit court in the county where you, the petitioner, resides. If the child is a minor, the petition will need to be filed in the court where he/she lives. The cost of filing this petition is $150.00.

Conditions required to file include:

  • Be a resident of the county for at least one year
  • The petition must explain the reason for your name change i.e. marriage, adoption
  • If you are 22 years of age or older and petitioning to have your name changed, you must have one complete set of your fingerprints taken at a local police agency.
  • Proof that it is not being sought for fraudulent reasons

Note: If you have a criminal record and are seeking a name change, the court will assume you are changing your name for fraudulent reasons, making the process perhaps, more difficult.

The rules regarding name changes are quite similar for all people no matter what their age however, there are some differences regarding the requirements for children under the age of 14.  Information given here can be found in further detail in Act 288 of 1939

Name Change Attorney Gaylord MI

There are a number of statues and law with regard to name changes in Michigan. Bailey-Quick Law is a name change attorney in Gaylord MI.